Friday, December 3, 2010

The Positive Side of Joining a Sorority or Fraternity

article from associatedcontent.com

Based on the portrayal of sororities and fraternities in movies such as "Animal House" and television shows such as MTV's "Sorority Life", it wouldn't be a surprise that a parent sending
their child off to college for the first time may send them with a big anti-Greek message: Don't join up with one of those organizations. Based on the media, you can't blame parents for being worried.

When I started college, I swore I would never join a sorority. I'd fallen into the trap of believing everything I'd heard, from hazing horror stories to the high cost of being part of these groups. Besides, I wasn't sorority material. I'd never been the popular girl, nor was I even the pretty one. Yes, I went to college with a great many judgments, but sorority and fraternity life had never been portrayed to me as anything but a big party that only those higher up on the social ladder were a part of.

In my first year of college, I found out that I wasn't completely right about the whole thing. As a founding member of my own sorority, I was given the chance to mingle with other Greek organizations on my small college campus as well as sororities from other colleges in the state. What I found was quite surprising to me. Fraternities and sororities weren't all bad. Granted, there were a few stereotypes that were met quite well. They did throw some good parties after all. But my predetermined impression was all but shattered and I spent my college career reaping the benefits of being in a sorority.

To any parent worried about their student joining a fraternity or a sorority, or to any college student unsure if a Greek organization is for them, the following is a list of the positive benefits of joining. You won't see these on a movie or a reality show, but they are just as real and can make for a great college experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment