Friday, March 11, 2011

Develop Positive Sorority Relationships

originally posted The Fraternity Advisor.com

There is no doubt that building a positive image for sororities is a huge plus for a fraternity. Most membership levels in sororities dwarf those of fraternities. It is so difficult to get in good with a sorority that it would be foolish to take that relationship for granted. However, you would be surprised at how easy it is to kill years of goodwill with just one negative interaction.

For example, a brother in my fraternity was dating a girl from a sorority. The sorority was having their once-a-year formal event, and some of the girls needed dates. My fraternity had always been on good terms with the sorority, so the girlfriend asked my brother if any of the other brothers wanted to go to the formal. Three accepted the offer.

Before the event, the four brothers were pre-gaming with the sorority sisters. Everything was going fine and everyone was having a good time. One of the brothers seemed to be drinking a little too heavy, but no one seemed to notice.

Anyway, the formal was a great time for everyone. The four couples went back to one of the sister’s apartments to conclude the evening. That is when a long night of drinking hit my fraternity brother. He ended up puking on her bedroom floor and pulled a light fixture off the wall. Needless to say, a night filled with promise did not end well.

After that night relations with the sorority were never the same. Our fraternity did everything they could do try to fix the damage done, but to no avail.

This goes to show how fragile relationships can be with sororities, and how it is essential every brother realizes it and acts accordingly.

Great article that makes both collegiate and alumnae members realize that one night of actions be it at a greek function or not can be something the reflect upon your organization for years... 

1 comment:

  1. Totally and beyond in love with your blog. It's my new crush. My name's Anna, I'm a stylist and visual merchandiser in LA. I'm 23 years old and moved to California after graduating back in south with a degree in visual merchandiser. I grew up in Florida and would love some FSU support. I've been lucky enough since moving out here to work with some of LA's most respected designers. I'd love if you visited my new blog for multiple posts a day on all things fashion. I'd love the support. I'm following you, I hope you'll do the same. Thanks so much.

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete